New arrivals and exodus in Hispanic Corona

Posted on 13. Sep, 2009 by in Barbara Raab, General, Urban

Hispanic Corona’s demographics are changing rapidly. Historically an Italian, Colombian and Dominican neighborhood, it now hosts large communities of Ecuadorians, Mexicans, and Guatemalans. “La Chola”, “Antojitos Colombianos Bakery” and other signs in Spanish set the scene. It smells like tacos and rubbish, depending what street you’re on.

Despite the economic downturn and the lack of jobs, more undocumented immigrants keep on coming to Corona. Some neighbors complain the place is getting too crowded. As many as several families live in a small apartment, Father Villegas of St. Leo Church said. Some others complain because crime rates are increasing, and the hood is not the safe place it used to be.Corona, Heineken Spanish

“Close to the subway in Roosevelt there are drug traffickers, and men selling illegal green cards during the day and naked women during the night,” ex-resident Josefina Joniaux said. Her auto insurance shop was robbed a few years ago, as was the nearby Bravo Supermarket, just four months ago. [See an interesting case of illegal green card fraud in Corona reported by the New York Times here]

Hairdresser Blanca Estela Soriano, like Joniaux, also lived in Corona for a long time — 20 years. But now she only comes here for work. She moved recently to a neighboring area because of safety. “I’ve been living here for a long time, but now I’ve been kind of forced to move to Flatbush,” she said in Spanish outside the beauty parlor where she works.

Like Soriano and Joniaux, many Corona residents have packed and moved somewhere else, but return here for jobs that tie them to their old neighborhood. Despite the constant influx of newcomers, Corona is experiencing a type of exodus. “More than 90% of the population is undocumented here. We don’t have enough resources, there’s a lot of work to do with this community,” Father Villegas said.

More info on Corona, Queens, is in this set of resources:
Neighborhood statistics
Census information
Flushing-Corona neighborhood in Queensbuzz

Corona Profile in the Queens Courier

Tags: , , , ,

10 Responses to “New arrivals and exodus in Hispanic Corona”

1. suzanne.solomon

13. Sep, 2009

Almudena, thanks for a lively profile of this neighborhood. I like how you use NYC and other resources to complement your on the ground reporting. The only thing that is constant in NYC, it seems, is change.

2. almudena.toral

13. Sep, 2009

Thank you, Suzanne. You may be right. I don’t know New York City enough yet to make a judgement, but it does seem so far like a city that never rests or stays the same for very long… Thanks for your comment!

3. DARIA E. BERMUDEZ

21. Sep, 2009

I HAVE AN ISSUE WITH THIS DATA!
    THIS ARTICLE MENTIONS “CORONA” AS A TRADITIONALLY ITALIAN, COLOMBIAN, AND DOMINICAN NEIGHBORHOOD…

HOWEVER, THAT IS INCORRECT…
    TRADITIONALLY, IT WAS ITALIAN, IRISH, JEWISH (SOME JEWS), N LAST BUT NOT LEAST A “BLACK/AFRICAN-AMERICAN” COMMUNITY!

MY GRANDMOTHER CAME TO CORONA BETWEEN 1937-1940! THE HISPANIC POPULATION CAME LATER…AROUND THE LATE 70’S/80’S.

THOSE ARE THE “REAL” FACTS!

4. DARIA E. BERMUDEZ

21. Sep, 2009

IN ADDITION, THERE IS A BOOK TITLED, “BLACK CORONA”

YOU SHOULD READ IT SOMETIME…

5. DARIA E. BERMUDEZ

21. Sep, 2009

6. Sergey Kadinsky

23. Sep, 2009

Corona’s north was historically black, and its south was historically Italian, but today, all of Corona is majority Latino.

7. j.b.

23. Sep, 2009

Corona has been majority-Latino for almost 30 years, since the early 80’s. To talk about what the ‘traditional’ population was seems disingenuous when not including specific date ranges.

• DARIA E. BERMUDEZ

25. Apr, 2013

NO, I GOING TO HAVE DISAGREE WITH THERE…
      THE HISPANIC POPULOUS MAY HAVE BEEN PRESENT IN CORONA FOR 30YRS BUT AND/OR ONCE AGAIN THE REAL “FACTS/’TRADITION” IS…

THE BLACK/AFRICAN-AMERICAN” COMMUNITY HAS BEEN PRESENT WAY LONGER (MIGRATIONS FROM THE AMERICAN SOUTH AND THE WEST INDIES/CARIBBEAN – BESIDES, YOUR ‘KEY’ WORD…’ALMOST’ SAYS IT ALL)…

NOT TO MENITON, THIS ALPHA POPULOUS HELP TO ‘PAVE’ THE WHY FOR THE GROUPS PRESENT ‘TODAY’ I.E. THE DOMINICANS, CENTRAL, AND SOUTH AMERICAN POPOULOUS.

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!
      🙂

8. Daily File

02. Oct, 2010

Good article, thank you! I actually like it!

9. Ty Shannonhouse

05. Oct, 2010

thank very much for this great blog;this is the kind of thing that maintain me come alive through out my day. I’ve been look around for this site after I hear about them from a buddy and was please when I was able to encounter it after searching for some time. Being a avid blogger, I’m dazzled to see others taking initivative and contributing to the community. I just desire to remark to show my appreciation for your website as it’s very appleaing, and many writers do not get credit they merit I am sure I’ll visit again and will spread the word to my friends.