Oh, Canada

Posted on 27. Oct, 2009 by in Business and Economics, General, Rebecca Leung, Uncategorized, Urban

As a proud Canadian, Tim Hortons is the place to go to back home when I am craving Timbits and coffee. But Timmy’s is also the great sandwich and soup place where we stop at on our drive to the countryside, a much wiser choice then the greasy meals at a dirty Harvey’s or McDonald’s.

Imagine my surprise when a couple of weeks ago, on the corner of 50th St. and Seventh Ave. in midtown Manhattan, I came across the familiar brown and yellow colors that I have seen so many times before.

The first Tim Hortons locations opened up in July of this year, and there are 11 locations in the city so far, all of them old Dunkin Donuts sites.

Tim Hortons started in 1964 in Hamilton, Ontario, and is now available everywhere in Canada. The company prides itself on its “top quality, always fresh product, value, great service and community leadership.” Some of the popular products include the Dutchie and the Honey Cruller, not to mention the Timbits, delicious bite-size donut hole that come in many flavors. Don’t get me started on their soups.

Although Timmy’s is a Canadian national pride, most Americans have no idea what the restaurant is (“Is it a donut shop? Is it a sandwich place? What’s so great about it anyways?”)

Well worry not, because the company seems to have taken care of that problem. On the October 19th episode of the CBS sitcom How I Met Your Mother, Robin and Barney – two of the main characters – hang out in a perfectly recreated set of a Toronto Tim Hortons for most of the episode.

HIMYM - TH scene

Granted, the episode made fun of our accent, our obsession with hockey and the color of our dollar bills, but behind all that laid a masterpiece of subliminal advertising.

So give your Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts a break and go give Timmy’s a try! Or you could just check out this 1 minute video that says it all:

***Blogger’s disclaimer: I do realize that technically, Tim Hortons has been owned by one of America’s largest burger chains since 1995. But it is still 100% Canadian to me!***

One Response to “Oh, Canada”

1. elizabeth.eckert

28. Oct, 2009

Tim Hortons is all over Buffalo; being so close to the border (and pretty close to Hamilton) it’s one of the few American cities that has them. I love it, though I haven’t had a Timbit in years.

I even worked at one for a few months when I was in high school…visor, pleated khakis and everything. I was really excited when I passed one on the street, too. Timmy the pants off Dunkin’ any day.