Losing My Religion on eBay

Posted on 02. Nov, 2009 by in Uncategorized

This weekend I got into a bit of a dispute over a bid gone wrong on eBay. It was my first experience with eBay and I didn’t take it as seriously as I should have. I admit, I didn’t read all the rules before I clicked “agree” or “accept,” (I fail to recall the exact language.) The final bid was too low, so I decided not to sell the laptop. I returned the money to the woman and sent her an apology email.

Here is the email she sent back to me:

“When you list an item up for sale, you sign an agreement that whatever the highest bid is how much its sold for. To avoid selling your item at a lower price then wanted you have a higher start bid and or a resevre price. You shouldn’t have set up an auction if you didn’t know the rules. I am a faithful christian woman and feel cheated. Maybe we can work something out so I wont have to report you to ebay.

Let me know, thanks!

” I can do everything through him who gives me strength.”
~ Philippians 4:13~
God Bless”

While I understand her anger, the thing that surprised me was the declaration that she is “a faithful christian woman,” followed by “maybe we can work something out so I wont have to report you to eBay.”

To me, her statement cheapens religious feeling by bringing it into a business transaction. I just don’t see how being a faithful christian woman has anything to do with getting a good deal on eBay. This makes me think of other absolute nonsense that people do in name of religion:

Muslim Woman Tries to Kill Husband; Claims He Fed Her Pork, Liquor

What do you think? Do you see the connection or am I totally out there?

(We made up after a series of emails, she agreed not to report me to eBay, and I plan to re-list my laptop.)

2 Responses to “Losing My Religion on eBay”

1. Joel Jennings

17. Mar, 2010

Individual religious commitment is an instance of the ratification of an old historical contract between worshiped and worshiper.

The details of the contract might change according to the specific beliefs involved, but in its general form it stipulates that I, as a believer, must live my life in such a way that my actions are principled to both accord with and to justify the contract and the relation on which it is based. This relation, of course, is very much one of exchange: I give my time, say, to God and to my church, to devotion and doing good works, to spreading the word, and in return I receive a promise of, at least, eternal reward. Moreover, if I carry through my end of the contract, this reward is my absolute right.

Buying and selling on eBay likewise involves specific rights and duties as set by the site’s terms of contract. These are interconnected in such a way that if either gets abused in some way, the abuse of the other is implied and the contract is effectively breached.

Though the one contract is religious and the other commercial, those who would transfer sentiments and injuries freely between them, construing therein a formal equivalence, may do so. This is unfortunate, in my view, but there is a “sense” there nevertheless.

2. greendiyenergy

10. Jul, 2010

Although you definitely made a mistake, I don’t think it was appropriate of the woman to add stuff about her religion, because honestly it doesn’t matter here. Sure, there’s a time and place for it, but it’s not in an ebay dispute email exchange!

And that article you linked to…crazy.