North Carolina Huskers Club cheers on its team from afar

Posted on 07. Dec, 2009 by in Arts and Culture, Barbara Raab

More than 1,000 miles from the home of the Nebraska Huskers, the North Carolina Huskers club gathers to cheer on Big Red every week during football season.

Founder and Chairman Tim Zuraff started the club two years ago after wondering where his fellow Huskers fans went during games. Board member Aaron Beck runs the Charlotte chapter and is arguably its most enthusiastic fan. During games, he leads cheers and runs through the bar to stir up excitement.

The day after Thanksgiving, nearly 60 fans gathered at Picasso’s Sports Cafe in Charlotte to watch the Huskers take on a big rival: the Colorado Buffaloes.

Nebraska won (28-20), but many fans said they don’t come together only to watch the football team. For these fans, many of whom formerly lived in Nebraska, other members are like family.

Zuraff and Beck spoke about the club’s evolution, and what it means to its members.

6 Responses to “North Carolina Huskers Club cheers on its team from afar”

1. Tim Zuraff

10. Dec, 2009

This is a fantastic article. The video is great! This was extremely well done!!!! GO HUSKERS!!

2. Julie Bird

10. Dec, 2009

Super job, Eleanor. What a fun way to tell a story!

3. Rick Rogers

11. Dec, 2009

Nice, very nice indeed. We Husker fans are quite the group. And what a great way to tell the story. Well done and many thanks Eleanor!!!

4. Eleanor

16. Dec, 2009

Thanks, all! I’m actually planning to improve it even more and use more sound clips from other people now that my class assignment is over. I’ll keep you posted! 🙂

5. Chris

28. Dec, 2009

I live in Grenville and I’m looking for a place to watch my beloved Cornhuskers with others like me.
    Does anyone know of a place??

6. Tim Zuraff

02. Apr, 2010

Chris, contact me at tpzuraff@aol.com. We can talk about getting a site set up in Greenville. GO HUSKERS!!!!