Sophisticated Blogger

Posted on 16. Dec, 2009 by in John Smock

WordPress hasn’t crashed…yet. As we wrap up the semester at the J-School (i know, weak link) there are about twelve people adding posts right now and some of them are posting what they learned this semester and I too will take that route.

When I met a classmate for the first time this summer, I was asked what I thought about blogging. I responded that I hated it, that blogging is not journalism, and that I would cut it.

Boy was I wrong.

Interactive Journalism 1 was a success in my books. From learning about Google maps and then using that new knowledge to incorporate it into my final broadcast project to thinking about something substantial to blog about every week, I learned that blogging can be a form of journalism.

Now don’t get me wrong, not every blog is journalism. I still don’t think Perez Hilton is a journalist and probably never will. Sorry, Perez.

Blogging isn’t just about writing your feelings. I mean, this isn’t the dreaded Xanga from my high school days. Blogging is a multi faceted. A good blog includes links, pictures, videos, embed codes, ledes, nutgraphs and opinions.

I’ve learned more than just blogging. Soundslides, free internet tools, photography, and funky programs on my pimped-out Macbook Pro have taken over my life and thus made me a better journalist.